With its turbulent 2012 SEABL season fading into memory, next season’s prospects are already looking brighter for the Bendigo Braves.
The basketball club yesterday unveiled the Bendigo Bank as its major sponsor for the next three years.
Coach Ben Harvey is also expected to announce he will continue in the position early next week.
The Bendigo Bank’s sponsorship will include the Braves’ junior teams, while the senior men’s team will be known as the Bendigo Bank Braves from January 1.
The deal takes over from Symes Motors’ sponsorship.
“It’s great, it’s massive security,” Harvey said of the deal.
“They want to be on board and, really, it’s huge to get a major sponsor.
“On that too, Jason from Symes has been fantastic, you don’t forget what you’ve had either. They’re going to be some kind of sponsor as well, so that’s great.”
Bendigo Basketball Association president Mark Lennox was “delighted” to have the Bendigo Bank sponsor the 21 junior teams, as well as the senior men’s side.
Bendigo Bank regional manager Wayne Tobin said the bank was proud to be on board.
“The Braves represent Bendigo with distinction and the junior squad is the future. This is a great fit for the Bendigo Bank,” he said.
The club is still negotiating with Champions IGA about the Lady Braves’ naming rights sponsorship.
With the men’s major sponsor locked-in, the Braves will now turn their attention to re-signing Harvey.
“I’ll make a decision next week. It looks pretty positive, with these kinds of things you don’t want to rush them,” Harvey said.
“It’s been a bumpy journey, I’ll be honest. I feel that I’m ready, I just want some more time to make sure I’m making the right decision.”
While Harvey is yet to commit to the role, he has been thinking about imports for next season to replace Daniel Horton and Deilvez Yearby.
With the unpredictability of recruiting players from overseas, Harvey said approaching imports who had already played in the SEABL was an option.
He also didn’t rule out bringing back popular import Ivan McFarlin from the US.