A MAN has been charged over allegedly making a death threat against Bendigo councillor Mark Weragoda.
The man, 38, from Bowraville in New South Wales has been charged with one count of using a carriage service to menace, harass or offend.
Macksville detectives have also charged the man with drug offences.
Detectives launched an investigation after Cr Weragoda received an email on June 20.
It is believed the email was related to the Bendigo mosque debate.
"On August 22, Macksville detectives and police executed a search warrant at a High Street address in Bowraville where they seized a computer and other electrical equipment, along with an amount of cannabis," Macksville detective Justin Welsh said.
The man will face court in Macksville on November 12.
Cr Weragoda said he had received a substantial email about three months ago.
"It happened virtually in the midst of the council approving the mosque. I can’t remember when the email was sent," Cr Weragoda said.
He said he could not talk in detail about the matter while it was before the courts, but that it had been a stressful time for him and wife, Leonie.
Cr Weragoda also said he had no desire to "bring Bendigo into the negative limelight".
with the Guardian News