City of Greater Bendigo councillors have approved $252,000 in waste reserve funding to further investigate the White Hills and Miller Street tip sites
The money will help evaluate the risks to human health and the environment and determine the extent of any rehabilitation or remediation required.
When approving the motion at this week's council meeting, Crs Rod Campbell and James Williams agreed the investigation was needed to progress forward with the clean up.
Cr Peter Cox asked for a report detailing council's responsibility for the waste reserve fund.
He said provisions needed to be put in place to ensure there was funding available to rehabilitate the Eaglehawk tip site.
"There must be a much more sensible approach to this issue," he said.
The decision to further investigate comes after councillor Elise Chapman last week called on all required testing for the former White Hills landfill site to be completed before March 1.
Hopley Demolition was asked to vacate the site earlier this year.
During the heated discussion, councillors Chapman, Peter Cox, and Helen Leach - who all supported the motion - walked out.
The three councillors opposed the 2014-15 budget earlier in the night.