A 52-YEAR-OLD man who suffered burns to almost half of his body following a gas explosion at the Rochester Hotel a week ago is in a critical but stable condition in The Alfred.
Dave Lobe, 52, and Barry Purtell, 34, were helping a mate move a fridge at the Rochester Hotel when a flash fire occured about 1.30pm.
The men suffered burns to 40 to 50 per cent of their body, including their airways, and were both airlifted to The Alfred in Melbourne.
Mr Purtell later passed away in hospital.
The community has rallied behind the men by setting up an aid fund.
The bank account is titled "Give a little to two mates who gave a lot"; BSB: 013770, ACC: 288805878.
Victoria Police and WorkCover are investigating the incident.