UPDATE 11.55AM, SATURDAY: Last night's power interruption left several take-away businesses out of pocket.
Flora Hill Pinky's Pizza manager Madi Johnson said the power went out at 7.05pm and she closed the shop at 8pm.
"There was really no point in us being here, we couldn't do anything," she said.
"We had a lot of disappointed customers, especially people who had already ordered. Their pizzas were already half cooked."
Miss Johnson, who arrived at work early today to clean up, said the take-away business took less than half its average Friday-night earnings.
"We also lost money paying staff and we lost produce," she said.
"Even the dough we were making we couldn't use."
Miss Johnson said it was unlikely the business owners would seek compensation for their loss.
She confirmed the business was open tonight if people wanted another chance to enjoy their weekend pizza.
Kennington Fish Shop also closed at 8pm.
Eagle Boys Pizza manager Angus, who did not want his surname used, said the McIvor Highway shop was inoperable between 7 and 9pm.
"Losing to two thirds of our business on one of the busiest nights of the week was a big hit," he said.
"We stayed open because we’re normally open until 11pm but we didn’t have much business."
Angus said three orders had to be thrown away but the shop's supplies were fortunately kept cool enough to keep.
He was unsure whether the business would seek compensation.
The spokesman said 4380 customers were affected when the power outage occured at 7.08pm last night.
The majority of those affected had power restored at 8.43pm, while a few hundred extra customers waited until 12.32am.
The spokesman said the powerline is believed to have fallen onto a lower voltage line, which is believed to have caused a power surge.
The spokesman said an inspector has deemed the repaired line safe.
UPDATE 9.30AM, SATURDAY: A Powercor spokesman said 4380 customers were affected by last night's power outage.
He said the power was "progressively restored". We are waiting for further details, including confirmation of the outage's cause.
If residents or businesses affected by the outage are interested in talking with the Advertiser today, please phone 5434 4489 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
MORE than 4000 people were left without power on Friday night after a powerline came away from a power pole.
The outage happened about 7.15pm.
Residents reported the outage was preceded by flickering lights and blue flashes that could be seen in the sky some distance away.
A Kennington resident said the power line fell across the driveway of his Hewitt Avenue property.
"The lights flickered and then I saw a flash and some sparks from the power pole out the front," he told the Bendigo Advertiser.
"I saw the powerline had detached from the power pole."
Powercor and CFA representatives attended the scene and told residents to stay in their homes until the problem was resolved.
The power outage also affected Coles Supermarket in McIvor Road.
The supermarket did not close but ran on a generator that supplied power to the lights and cash registers for a short time.
Duty manager Kevin Inglis said the fridges and freezers stopped working.
He was in the process of organising a refrigerated truck to help salvage his produce when the power was restored at 8.55pm.
There were also reports VideoEzy and Pinky's Pizza in Kennington were without power.
Social media also provided a support network for residents who were relying on their smartphones for updates.
People reported outages in Bendigo, East Bendigo, Flora Hill, Kennington, Quarry Hill and Strathdale.
Social media users also gave helpful advice about which traffic lights were out, when power came back on in certain areas and even updates of the football scores for fans missing out on the Friday night game.
There were also reports on social media that a flying fox had hit the powerlines and caused the power outage but it was not confirmed.
Powercor was still investigating the cause of the outage when the Bendigo Advertiser went to press.