Family lucky to escape house blaze

The fire at a house in Myrtle Road, Ascot. Picture: PETER WEAVING

The fire at a house in Myrtle Road, Ascot. Picture: PETER WEAVING

A YOUNG family has had a narrow escape after their Ascot home was engulfed in flames at the weekend. 

Firefighters were called to the Myrtle Road property about 10.45am yesterday after the family raised the alarm.

Huntly fire brigade captain Ewan Paton said it was believed that an unattended electric heater in a room in the front of the house was the cause of the fire.

Mr Paton said the family were at the back of the house when a fire alarm went off, alerting them to the danger.

Brian Beavis, who is a neighbour at the back of the home, said he saw smoke and rushed over to the house. 

He said he helped the family retrieve photos and other sentimental belongings from the house.

"I tried to help get all the personal things out," he said. 

"Then the smoke got too toxic. 

"A firie told us to get out."

Mr Beavis said the family were very distressed and upset at what had happened. 

"It is the personal stuff that you can't replace," he said.

"We tried to get as much out as we could." 

Mr Beavis said he previously worked as a firefighter and had been to his fair share of house fires.

He said the family were lucky to escape with their lives. 

Another neighbour, Lewis Simon, said he saw a fire truck rush past his home and stop nearby, prompting him to run outside. 

He said he saw thick, black smoke billowing out of the roof of the house. 

"It was terrible," he said. 

Another neighbour, Cameron McGibbon, said the family were friendly and polite and the fire was unfortunate. 

"They are a good family," he said. 

"Their son would poke his head over the fence and speak with our kids.

"They would play on the trampoline.  

"It is really unlucky when things like this happen." 

Mr McGibbon said he saw flames burn through the roof of the house.

"There was lots of smoke," he said. 

Four fire trucks were called to contain the blaze. 

An ambulance arrived on scene to treat people with smoke inhalation but was not required.

Yesterday's house fire follows a blaze which almost completely destroyed a Spring Gully house about two weeks ago.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop