Four flee home as fire takes hold of property

A COUPLE with two young children have had most of their possessions destroyed in a house fire.

The blaze started at the back of the couple’s rented home in Carpenter Street about 4pm Saturday.

Firefighter John Griffiths said the back half of the house had been completely engulfed.

“We found the back of the house totally involved (in flames),” he said.

“Approximately 12 firefighters from two units attended and manged to get the fire under control in about 15 minutes.”

The couple were visibly distressed at the front of the home.

Mr Griffiths said all four people in the home were uninjured.

“The occupants are both safe,” he said.

“They managed to get out of the house before it took hold.”

Firefighters struggled to find three nearby fire plugs to access water. 

The blaze is believed to have been caused by a leaking LPG cylinder at the back of the house.

“It appears a leaking LPG cylinder hit an ignition source of an incense candle which caused the back of the house to catch fire, spreading to the roof,” Mr Griffiths said.

“The family are a little bit in shock."

Police worked to find emergency accommodation for the family on Saturday night. Witnesses reported smoke billowing from the brick property, which had extensive rear damage, and smoke and water damage at the front of the home. 

A man said he heard small explosions as the fire started.

“There were a few pops and bangs then for some reason I looked and I could see smoke,” he said.

“I thought it wasn’t coming from a bonfire.

“She was humming along.”

A wheelchair-bound lady had to be evacuated from a neighbouring property by family members.

Mr Griffiths said people needed to be careful around LPG.

“Especially inside a house, even if it is an open area,” he said.

“All people should be very careful with LPG.” 

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide