THE Falcons have begun their A-grade Bendigo Baseball Association campaign strongly, defeating Bendigo East by seven runs on Sunday.
Falcons' ace Troy Waterman started well, however, Bendigo East pitcher Nigel Close was tagged for 10 runs.
A pitching change by Bendigo East in the third bought James Bray to the mound, shutting the Falcons down over the next two innings.
Doubles to Luke Smart and Ryan Evans at the top of the third resulted in two runs followed by a further three in the fourth to get within four runs of the Falcons.
Falcons' pitcher, Waterman, then struggled throughout the fifth and was relieved in the sixth by Falcons' coach Brad Muns.
In response, his offense provided three more runs in the bottom of the fifth to record a 13-6 win in favour of the Falcons.
• Dodgers also scored a thrilling one run win over the Scots.
After a two-hour battle over five innings the Dodgers managed to get on top over last season’s Champion Club Trophy winners, the Scots, to win 10-9.
The Dodgers scored two runs in the first innings.
The Scots mounted a fightback scoring runs in their second, third, fourth and fifth innings, but it wasn’t enough as the Dodgers came out winners.
• In the B-grade competition the Falcons defeated Bendigo East 10 runs to 7.
Bendigo East began well, scoring a six-run lead at the bottom of the second innings.
The Falcons picked it up in the third thanks to a home run by Jono Vanderhagen.
Momentum swung in favour of the Falcons, as they continued to pile on the runs.
• The Scots also defeated the Dodgers 12 to 11 in their B-grade game.
• In the C-grade the Falcons took on Bendigo East and won 18-7.
•The Scots also began strongly, defeating the Dodgers by 13 runs, 19 to 6.
Scots' pitcher Billy Parsons started well, pitching six strikeouts.
The Dodgers started slowly, but managed to come back in the third innings, only to have the Scots power home.
• The Dodgers defeated the Falcons 13 to 9 in their opening game of its under-16 season.
• In the under-13 competition Bendigo East defeated the Falcons Pirates 20 to 6 and in the T-Ball competition, Bendigo East won over the Falcons Blue Sox 23 to 18 and the Scots defeated the Dodgers 31 to 27.