Saturday trading to end at Medicare

SATURDAY morning trading will cease at Bendigo Medicare in May.

Department of Human Services general manager Hank Jongen said Bendigo was among the last Medicare sites still opening outside normal business hours.

“Medicare Saturday trading is currently offered at 26 of more than 380 shopfronts,” Mr Jongen said.

“We started winding back Saturday opening hours in April last year because of a big drop in demand. Overall average walk-ins have reduced by almost 60 per cent over the last two years.”

Saturday, May 3 is the last time the one-stop shop in Bendigo will offer Medicare services at the weekend.

Mr Jorgen said decreasing numbers was the reason for the closure.

He said people had many different claiming options which allowed them to claim Medicare without the need to queue at the local office.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop