FC Heartbreak

Bendigo beaten by Whittlesea Ranges 2-1 in stoppage time

FC Bendigo's division one team is still searching for its first points in the National Premier League following a gut-wrenching 2-1 loss in Saturday night's clash with the Whittlesea Ranges.

A brilliant strike by FC Bendigo's Alon Blumgart levelled scores in the 89th minute on the Epping pitch.

Just on four minutes later and the Ranges were celebrating victory when a 20-yard strike following a foul sailed into the top right corner of the net.

FC Bendigo's playing coach Steve Martin said it was bitterly disappointing not to have taken at least one point from the second-round clash.

The Ranges broke the deadlock in the 20th minute when they capitalised on a turnover.

Although Bendigo set up several scoring chances it could not put the ball into the net.

"In the second half our spread across the pitch and workrate to keep possession was so much better," Martin said.

Bendigo's persistence was rewarded with Blumgart's superb goal.

Shortly after and another Bendigo shot at goal was off target.

A long kick from Whittlesea's defence put the ball deep into attack from where a foul was called against Bendigo.

Disappointed to be winless after two matches, Martin said it was important not to dwell on the "might what-haves" or mistakes for too long.

"The second half was great, but the first could have been a lot better.

"We put ourselves under pressure by conceding the first goal and turning the ball over from some unforced errors.

"Just as we did in the first game, we showed a lot of character to fight back and equalise and be in with a strong chance to win the game."

FC Bendigo's best were first-game players Josh Romein in defence and Viktor Rodriguez in midfield.

Right-back Ryan Davidson also played well.

The club's under-20 team scored a 5-2 victory.

FC Bendigo is at home this Saturday against Moreland Zebras at Epsom-Huntly. Matches kick off at 5pm and 7pm. 

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide