Hatchet accused a former soldier

A WOMAN charged with entering a home and threatening a woman and her children with a hatchet and taser was a decorated soldier whose life ran of the rails after her service, a court has heard.

Melanie Warren, 31, is facing 10 charges over the alleged incident in Marong early Sunday morning.

It’s alleged Warren entered a home armed with a hatchet and taser with co-accused Colin Campbell, 32.

Prosecutor Tony Graham told the Bendigo Magistrates Court Warren had been the instigator in the incident, which involved a $340 debt over a car.

Mr Campbell told police Warren had “gone crazy” and said he would not let her hurt anyone, the court heard.

It’s alleged Warren, after being told a woman she was looking for was not present at the home, said “I don’t give a f---, I’ll kill you and your kids”.

Police informant Detective Leading Senior Constable Michael Thompson said the two accused had attended the Marong home at 2.10am.

It’s alleged a woman and four children aged six to 14 were at the address.

The woman, who reported hearing a taser during the incident, was allegedly forced to empty her purse into a shopping bag.

Warren’s mother Sue Bourchier said her daughter had served two tours of East Timor and one had involved picking up bodies on the street.

She said she had been “extremely proud” of her daughter’s service but noticed problems six to nine months after she returned.

Warren, who had a troubled childhood, turned to drugs and alcohol and crime, the court heard.

She started crying when her mother recalled her war service.

Defence lawyer George Defteros argued prosecutors did not have a strong case and said "we certainly do not concede that these offences have been committed".

Magistrate David Faram noted likely delays with the case and bailed Warren to re-appear before court on May 28. Campbell, who appeared before court separately, was also bailed to re-appear on the same date. 

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop