Claude faces court over several charges

RENOWNED Bendigo man Claude Critchley is contesting several charges in court.

Critchley, 58, appeared at the Bendigo Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

He has been charged with lighting a fire in the open air on a day of total fire ban in March last year.

Critchley has also been charged with unlawful assault over an alleged incident in Bendigo on June 20 last year.

He will also face charges over an alleged unlawful assault on September 30 last year and using obscene language within the hearing of a person at Brewhouse Cafe

Critchley has also been accused of unlawfully assaulting a person on October 18 last year and again using obscene language within the hearing of a person at Brewhouse.

Defence Lawyer Peter Baker said CCTV footage had been made available from one of the two cases at the cafe.

He said the footage would be beneficial in defending Critchley.

“The prosecution have provided me with video footage of one of two incidents that will be very helpful to the defence,” Mr Baker said.

Prosecutors had not viewed the footage, the court heard.

The court heard two of the cafe’s five security cameras had captured the alleged incident.

Critchley appeared before Magistrate David Faram wearing a blue t-shirt and Hawaiian shorts.

He will be required to re-appear before the court on May 5 for a contest mention. 

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop