Major burns caused by shed fire

A MAN has been taken to hospital with burns after a shed fire in Woodend.

Firefighters responded to the Quarry Road incident at about 9am Monday.

An Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman said the man received  burns to his hands and face.

He was transported by road ambulance to the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne. 

Senior Constable Darrin Kyritsis said the man had been burnt while trying to retrieve items from the shed.

“It appears a small drum was being used to burn off on Sunday night,” he said.

“The coals have fallen onto some Red Gum sleepers and they’ve smouldered and ignited.

“It looks like they had been smouldering all night.”

Senior Constable Kyritsis said the man had severe burns to his wrist and hands and had his face and hair singed.

"The fire was observed by his wife who was putting the bins out for morning collection," he said. 

"We're in a declared fire danger period. 

"The district is very dry so burn offs are not allowed."

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop