POLICE will continue to station further resources in the Bendigo region following a crash in Burramboot that claimed four lives at the weekend.
The Bendigo region was identified as "high risk" in the lead up to the Labour Day long weekend, with extra resources stationed in the area.
Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill said despite this, "people continued to let police down".
“There are matters ... that would indicate that we have causal factors including alcohol, speed, irresponsible behaviour (in regards to Saturday's crash)," he said.
"We actually had a booze bus located near the crash scene but the message is not getting across."
The weekend's collision is the second four-person fatality to have happened on Victorian roads in 10 days.
On February 28, four members of the same family were killed in the Gippsland town of Koo Wee Rup when a truck driver allegedly ran a stop sign and ploughed into the family’s car.
The provisional road toll sits at 54, compared with 42 the same time last year.
It follows almost a decade of record low annual road tolls.
Assistant Commissioner Hill said Victoria Police was “very concerned” by the jump in road deaths.
“This is the second quadruple, we’ve had a triple fatal earlier in the year and a number of double fatalities," he said.
“While the collisions have marginally increased, the deaths as a consequence are significant. We’ve lost 14 more lives than as compared to last year.
“These collisions are completely and utterly avoidable.”