LATEST: Hicks twin declares he did not kill baby

DAY 1: Supreme Court trial begins

DAY 2: Mother tells of moment she found her baby covered in blood

UPDATE 3.15PM: The twin brother of accused man Harley Hicks says he was at home on the night of Zayden's death and did not kill the child.

Ashley Hicks said he had taken anti-anxiety medication on the night of June 14 and slept until the following day.

He denied being with Harley Hicks when he committed a series of burglaries in the Long Gully area on the night Zayden was killed.

When asked by defence counsel David Hallowes if he killed the child, Ashley Hicks said "no".

He said he was too "f...ed up" from medication to remember much of that night, including phone communication between himself  and Harley and his girlfriend.

However it was put to the court Ashley Hicks' recollection of events may be inaccurate.

UPDATE 12.45PM: The partner of Casey Veal has told the Supreme Court he did not kill baby Zayden.

Mathew Tisell said he loved Casey's two sons.

"I did not kill Zayden, no I didn't - I loved that kid.

"I loved those boys to death, I still do."

Mr Tisell said Zayden's father James did a wonderful job parenting his children, but he loved sharing the responsibility and everything that came with that.

"I still see Xavier, they're my kids,’’ Mr Tisell said.

“They're not my biological kids, they're James', and he does a lovely job of them, he's more than responsible, but I love sharing the responsibility.

“I love cleaning up after them - I've helped Xavier grow so much.

“I've financially supported them, I've done everything I could for those boys.’’

EARLIER: The Supreme Court has heard 10-month-old Zayden Veal-Whitting was cold and bruised and not breathing when his mother ran screaming for help through her Long Gully home.

Casey Veal found her son bludgeoned to death and laying in a pool of blood in his cot in June, 2012.

Harley Hicks, 21, of Long Gully, has pleaded not guilty to the child's murder.

Ms Veal's partner Mathew Tisell told the court Ms Veal woke him about 7am on June 15, telling him the house had been broken into.

Mr Tisell looked around the property and the police were called.

As he went to the bathroom, he heard Ms Veal screaming, so Mr Tisell started running towards the other end of house.

Ms Veal met him in the hallway with Zayden in her arms.

"He was green and all one side of his face was bruised when I grabbed him out of her arms," Mr Tisell said.

"He was so cold, and he was also limp.

Mr Tisell said Zayden was not breathing and he took him to the heater because he was so cold.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide