Bendigo builds for NPL hit-outs

BENDIGO Amateur Soccer League operations manager Brock Rogers has mixed feelings about the senior and junior structures of the 2014 National Premier Leagues.

The league was granted one of 30 licences for the new national second tier competition last week.

The BASL seniors have been selected to play in NPL division 1 while the junior structure has been split geographically into two conferences.

Rogers said he was pleased with the senior’s fixtures was designed.

“I am happy,” he said.

“It gives us the opportunity to develop over our three year licence and get the team established.

“After the licence expires we can then push to be promoted to the top division.”

The senior side will compete against the likes of Dandenong City, North Geelong Warriors, St Albans Saints and the Whittlesea Ranges.

The senior men and under-20 competitions will begin on March 14 and 16.

Teams play each other twice on a home and away basis with no final series.

Rogers said he was surprised about Football Federation Victoria’s decision to structure the juniors by location.

He said he would request an explanation from the state body about why this decision had been made.

“When our seniors and juniors play away we want everyone to be together as one team,” Rogers said.

The juniors will start their season on the weekend of April 6. 

Meanwhile, the club has already begun training in preparation for its opening match.

Rogers said excitement was building among the players but admitted it has been a quick turnaround to get everything ready.

“It is a great chance for players to take the next step with their soccer without having to leave their home-town,” he said. 

"We have already had a couple of informal training sessions and everyone is really excited."

Rogers said the board will be finalised soon.

Potential coaches will be interviewed next week.

The full NPL fixture will be announced on February 26. 

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop