City's flood study calls for high response

MORE than 2500 Bendigo properties could be at risk of flooding, with a new study urging residents to review flood dangers.

Community consultations will be held at the end of the month to discuss the potential impact of floods on homes and businesses.

The Urban Flood Study has sent out 2500 letters to addresses in Bendigo, White Hills, East Bendigo, North Bendigo, Ironbark and Wellsford. 

The North Central Catchment Management Authority issued the warning in one of the largest flood studies ever completed in Australia. The study was completed in conjunction with the City of Greater Bendigo and the state government.

Member for northern Victoria Damian Drum said the experiences of 2010, 2011 and 2012 showed that floods can cost Victorian communities tens of millions of dollars.

"There's clean up, recovery and lost business opportunity, as well as an emotional toll,” he said. 

More than 100 people met last year to discuss stage one of the study, reviewing local flood risks. Mr Drum said stage two of meetings would allow residents to discuss flood water behaviour and see how floods may impact on their property

He said only properties shown as potentially affected by flooding will receive a letter. For anyone concerned they may be in a flood area but have not received a letter, they can contact North Central CMA or view the flood maps on the CMA’s website.

Consultation sessions will be at the Bendigo Town Hall on February 24 and February 26 between 1pm to 8pm. 

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop