Lightning victim and good samaritan unite

RELATED: Lightning strike victim makes an incredible recovery

A STRANGER who gave CPR to a woman after she was hit by lightning said the pair have struck a life-long bond.

Simone Newman, 27, of Macedon, was struck by a lightning bolt on the top of her head and left lifeless for 20 minutes at Cairn Curran reservoir two weeks ago.

Mandy Herd, of Maryborough, was in her car at the time and ran to the bank of the water to give Simone CPR.

Simone spent almost a week in hospital before making a special visit to meet up with the woman who helped save her.

Ms Herd described their reunion as surreal.

She said it was an extremely emotional catch up.

"It was just a wonderful experience to be able to meet someone after that," she said.

"Having the opportunity to spend time with her was like catching up with a long lost friend."

Ms Herd said Simone, a mother of two, didn't know what to say when they first met.

"She was basically a little bit speechless. I think she couldn’t quite put it into words. But she couldn’t be thankful enough."

She said Simone has made an incredible recovery in the days since being struck by lightning.

"She was in great spirits," she said.

"It was good seeing her looking really well. It's amazing it was not long ago at all and she's looking so much better already. She's still recovering."

She said the pair had already formed a strong bond.

"There are no words that could possibly describe how each of us were feeling, it was very heartfelt.

"It's a special bond that has been forged that will last forever between us all.

"We most certainly will be staying in touch."

Simone's partner's father Paul West said he was extremely grateful for the assistance that Ms Herd gave at the time.

He said she had instructed him to give mouth-to-mouth resuscitation as the pair worked for 20 minutes before Simone showed signs of life.

"Mandy took over and did a great job," he said.

"We were lucky she was there. It was just one of those things. We were probably blessed that everything fell into place."

Simone was in intensive care at Bendigo Health and was in a stable condition before her release.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide