A woman severely burnt in a yard fire on Wednesday night remains in a critical condition at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne, hospital spokeswoman Hannah Chipp said.
The woman in her 60s suffered burns to 40 per cent of her body when a grass fire in her backyard at Lake Boga ignited her clothes.
Swan Hill fire brigade operations officer John Breaks said it was believed the woman was using an incinerator to burn off rubbish about 5.30pm.
"The fire has then spread out from the incinerator," he said.
"We are not sure if she is from the area."
Ambulance Victoria spokesman John Mullen said the patient was initially taken to Swan Hill for treatment.
“She has burns from the waist down,” he said.
“She was initially taken to Swan Hill and was later taken to the airfield to be flown to Alfred Hospital in Melbourne.”
The CFA, who attended the fire, said it could have been caused by a burn off.
“We got the call around 5.30pm,” said a CFA spokesman.
“The initial indication is that the fire may have been the result of burning off of rubbish and it caught the grass which caught her clothes.
“A lady in her sixties suffered serious burns to the lower half of her body.”