Rising death toll prompts road warning

BENDIGO police are continuing to campaign for road safety following a horror run of fatalities since the beginning of the month.

Nineteen people have died on Victorian roads in December, with 12 of the deaths in the last week alone.

A smash on the Robinvale-Sea Lake Road in Sea Lake claimed the lives of two men on Monday at 5.40pm.

A car collided with a tree, killing the driver and front- seat passenger.

A second male passenger was airlifted to the Alfred hospital in a critical condition.

Last week a 56-year-old man was killed in Newstead after his car veered off the road and hit a tree.

A crash in Wilsons Hill also took the life of an Arnold man.

The 61-year-old hit a tree on the Wimmera Highway.

Acting Sergeant Peter Dyer said police were working as hard as ever to ensure drivers were abiding road rules.

“We keep spreading the message but some people have become immune to the talk,” he said.

Acting Sergeant Dyer said the message did not seem to be getting through to people.

“People are continuing to drive when they are tired, or eating, they are being distracted by their kids, they are on their phones or speeding,” he said.

“People are dying because they are not concentrating.”

Police ran Operation Unite at the weekend. 

It targeted licensed venues, entertainment precincts, public transport hubs and roads.

Bendigo had the lowest number of incidents in the state-wide blitz.

Acting Sergeant Dyer said people should not ‘go back into their old ways’ after behaving at the weekend.

“People should always drive safely, not just at this time of the year,” he said. 

Road Policing Command assistant commissioner Robert Hill said the community needed to work alongside police.

“This is shaping up to be a shocking month for road trauma," he said. 

“I am urging all road users to look at what you can do to stop these tragedies from occurring.”

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop