Sergeant stalker accused in court

A BENDIGO Police sergeant accused of stalking is unlikely to ever return to the police force, a court has heard.

The defence counsel acting for the currently-suspended sergeant told a hearing yesterday her client's career "was in tatters" and he would most likely never work with the police again.

The sergeant, 42, has been charged with five breaches of an intervention order and two counts of stalking a senior constable he was in a two-year relationship with. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

A contest mention has been set for March 31 next year after the parties failed to reach a resolution.

The initial contested hearing was due to finish in October but the case was aborted when Magistrate David Faram disqualified himself from proceedings due to a prior link to a witness.

The alleged victim, who still works in the police force, will be required to give evidence again next year.

Magistrate Robert Kumar yesterday said he was concerned it would be a particularly stressful experience for the woman, who has sought medical and psychological treatment since her break-up with the accused sergeant in May 2012.

Investigating Officer Senior Sergeant Geoff Owen said the senior constable was steadfast in her position that she wanted to go through with her evidence.

The court heard a number of letters and parcels she received from the accused had constituted alleged breaches of an intervention order.

The pair were due to marry in September last year but the wedding was called off.

The sergeant, who had been in the police force for 18 years, allegedly defied an intervention order a number of times through Facebook messages and internal police emails.

He was arrested and charged in February this year after organising Valentines Day flowers to be sent to the woman's home. 

Next year's contest mention has been booked in for five days.

The sergeant has not been named for legal reasons.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop