A VICTORIAN court has heard a Golden Square man posed as an electrician to fleece a family of $30,000 as the husband battled brain cancer.
Ringwood Magistrates Court heard Michael Sukit Llewellyn told Melbourne couple Rachel Sietzema and Marco de Vries he could do the electrical work on a home renovation.
A year later, Llewellyn had robbed the couple and their two young daughters of more than $30,000.
Magistrate Peter Dunn said he would have jailed Llewellyn if the Act allowed him to.
Llewellyn was fined $67,500 - the largest amount a Victorian court has issued for Electrical Safety Act breaches - plus costs of more than $5000.
He was convicted of 37 counts of doing unlicensed electrical work, six counts of unsafe work, two counts of working without registration as a registered electrical contractor and two counts of giving false information on a Certificate of Electrical Safety.
‘‘He was brilliantly reassuring,’’ Ms Sietzema said.
‘‘The whole thing was just so calculating.’’
Llewellyn, posing as an electrician, had left live wires in the roof cavity, a bandsaw embedded in the floor and a trench outside the Sietzemas’ Mont Albert North property that required a makeshift bridge.
Ms Sietzema was left at the point of despair and has only recently found an electrician to reverse Llewellyn’s work.
The court heard Llewellyn had gained the couple’s trust by visiting Mr de Vries in hospital with a get-well card immediately after the surgery which removed part of his cancer.
"He just preys on vulnerable people," Ms Sietzema said.
Llewellyn may yet face a police prosecution.
He did not face the court for his sentencing on Friday.
Prosecutor John Murphy of Energy Safe Victoria alleged Llewellyn had worked at houses across Melbourne trading under the name MBK Electrical.
Mr Murphy called on an expert witness, who said on a scale of one to 10, Llewellyn’s conduct was so dangerous it rated a 10.5.
Another customer, Wayne Sievers, employed Llewellyn to install power points, television receivers and ceiling and exhaust fans at his Maribyrnong home.
One night a ceiling fan Llewellyn had installed crashed on the bed next to him while he slept.
After that near miss, Mr Sievers checked Llewellyn’s licence with Energy Safe Victoria and found he was not registered.
Mr Sievers fears there are others who have been ripped off by Llewellyn who have not come forward.