MITCHELL Street traders have expressed their concern about the current street works in the Bendigo CBD.
The multi-million dollar works officially began on Sunday with staff from Hickmans Tree Maintenance chopping down trees along Mitchell Street.
Quin’s Bluebird owner Norm Quin said the redevelopment works were depressing.
“I have been working here for 64 years and I have seen it all and this is the worst of it,” he said.
“It is depressing.”
Mr Quin said when he came into town on Sunday and saw the trees had been hacked down he was left feeling shocked.
“I don’t like it,” he said.
“I don’t understand why they had to cut down established trees.
“Before it all happened you could go up to the Mitchell Street bridge and look down and see all the greenery and now it is all gone.”
Mr Quin said the works hadn’t affected his business just yet.
Harry’s Lolly Shop employee Monique Bailey said in the long-run the redevelopment works will affect the amount of customers that come into the store.
“The parking in the street is a real issue, no one has access to any parking” she said.
Ms Bailey said Mitchell Street now looked bare.
“There is no shade in the street anymore,” she said.
“If you were looking down the street you used to see all this greenery and now it has this industrial feel.”
City of Greater Bendigo mayor Lisa Ruffell said the streetscape works would look beautiful once finished at Easter time.
She said the council is aiming to make Mitchell Street a more comfortable and more accessible place for the community to shop.
“I think it will be positive for the street,” mayor Ruffell said.
“It’s been a long time coming.
“I think it’s going to look fantastic.”
Works will pause between December 1 and January 27 and in the lead up to Easter.