THE Department of Justice admits it needs to do more to avoid Parole Board mix-ups like the recent incident involving a North Bendigo parolee.
Improved access to police documents was one of a range of recommendations handed down in a sweeping review of the Adult Parole Board.
The 122-page report was released Tuesday outlining plans for a tougher parole system.
A Department of Justice spokesman said there had been changes to give the board greater access to relevant police information.
But he said there were ongoing issues that needed to be addressed.
The report comes two weeks after the Parole Board released a 37-year-old man to live at a North Bendigo address where he was charged with breaching an intervention order.
The Bendigo Magistrates Court heard the Parole Board did not have access to the original intervention order and was unaware of the consequences of releasing him to the address.
A Department of Justice spokesman said that lack of information was something the Parole Board review would consider.
The spokesman said “information sharing procedures” needed to be updated.
“We have made changes to ensure the police, corrections staff, and the Adult Parole Board have the most relevant and up-to-date information to appropriately manage offenders in the community. But there is more work that needs to be done,” he said.
He said for the most serious offenders staff always checked whether an intervention order existed before recommending suitable accommodation in the community.
“The department is currently examining an IT solution that will give staff greater access to Victoria Police information.”
Under reforms announced in the review, a member of Victoria Police’s Fugitive Taskforce will be permanently installed at the Adult Parole Board.
The spokesman said that would help give board members greater access to intelligence and general police information to assist them in their decision making.