Inglewood drug accused denied bail after dodging court

AN Inglewood man charged with trafficking and possessing cannabis failed to appear in court to face prior drug charges the day before he was pulled over by police.

Andrew Szabo, 35, was caught with 1.8kg of cannabis in his car when he was stopped for a traffic infringement on July 12.

The Bendigo Magistrates Court heard Szabo was due to face court for charges of trafficking and possessing cannabis on July 11.

It was the second time this year Szabo had failed to appear in court. 

Senior Constable Todd Deary said police found bags of cannabis hidden in a flat-pack furniture box in Szabo’s car on the day he was pulled over. 

Police also uncovered $17,800 in a bag placed down the pants of a 27-year-old passenger.

The court heard the co-accused man claimed he was forced by Szabo to stash the money in his underwear.

Szabo has been charged with trafficking and possessing drugs and has been remanded in police custody.

He was yesterday denied bail following police concerns that he was a high risk of reoffending. 

Szabo lashed out at police when his bail application was refused and told officers to “lose some weight” and “sort yourself out” as he was taken into the divisional van.

The court heard Szabo was unemployed and looked after his two daughters as a single parent.

Defence Counsel Ian Hayden argued Szabo “has had difficulties in the past year or two” but was focused on looking after his children. 

Magistrate Richard Wright said he accepted that Szabo was a high risk of reoffending.

He said it was significant that he was charged with identical drug offences he had earlier failed to appear for. Szabo was remanded and ordered to return to court on October 17. 

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop