Police treating Long Gully baby death as murder


Update 2.41pm

A 19-YEAR-OLD has pleaded guilty to 20 charges relating to burglaries in the Long Gully, Bendigo and Bendigo North areas.

The offences allegedly occurred between May 16 and June 15 and were committed to fund his drug habit.

Prior to his offending spree the Bendigo North man had been smoking cannabis, drinking and using methamphetamine, commonly known as ice.

The man was yesterday questioned in relation to the death of an 11-month-old Long Gully baby last Friday.

He was charged this morning in relation to the burglaries in that area however police have said the charges do not relate to a reported burglary at an Eaglehawk Road house where a baby boy died last Friday.

- Hannah Knight

Update 12.15pm

A 19-YEAR-OLD, questioned over the death of a Long Gully infant, will face court today charged with a series of burglaries in the Long Gully, Bendigo and Bendigo North areas.

He has been charged with three counts of burglary, one count of aggravated burglary, six counts of theft from a motor vehicle, four counts of theft of motor vehicle, five counts of theft and two counts of attempted burglary.

The offences were allegedly committed between May 16 and June 15.

The charges do not relate to a reported burglary at an Eaglehawk Road house where a baby boy died last Friday.


Police at the house where an 11-month-old baby boy died last Friday. Picture: PETER WEAVING


Earlier

A MAN who handed himself into police after burglaries at Long Gully last week has denied any involvement with the murder of an 11-month-old boy around the time of the offences.

Police yesterday

Detective Inspector John Potter of the Victoria Police homicide squad said the 19-year-old man voluntarily went to the Bendigo police station on Tuesday night.

“He has been spoken to in regards to the death,” Detective Inspector Potter said.

“He is still assisting police in regards to the burglaries.

“The incidence of those burglaries and theft of motor cars in the vicinity of the address is still being looked at.

“We don’t know whether there’s a connection at this stage with the death of the 11-month-old.”

Detective Inspector Potter said homicide squad detectives were looking at all leads in relation to the murder.

“The cause of death is such that the investigation is being treated as a murder,” he said.

“At this point in time we have no immediate suspects so we have to conduct a number of inquiries in regard to where this might go – we can’t discount anything really.

“We’ve got to look at the possibility of a connection with the burglaries, we’ve got to look at other possibilities, we are not sure at this stage.”

Inspector Potter appealed for anyone with information to come forward.

“We are dealing with the particularly tragic death of an 11-month-old boy,” he said.

“The issue around this particular death is particularly tragic for any family, so we need to take consideration of their welfare needs, as well as our need to comprehensively investigate this. The bottom line is we don’t know at this stage who is responsible for the death of the child and it’s our intention to try and establish that.”

The man was still being interviewed when the Bendigo Advertiser went to press and has not been charged.

Anyone with information should phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop