NOMINATIONS for the 2013 Greater Bendigo Heritage Awards are now open.
The National Trust of Australia Bendigo president Gary Hill and City of Greater Bendigo Councillor Peter Cox officially launched the annual awards at Kent House yesterday.
Cr Peter Cox said the awards were an opportunity to celebrate local property owners and tradespeople.
“The effort by many to restore and reuse some of the historical gems in Bendigo’s streetscape ensures they will remain as visual highlights in the community for years to come,” he said.
Cr Cox said the aim of the awards was to acknowledge those who had demonstrated excellence in conserving the municipality’s heritage landmarks.
“We went through a fairly shaky period in the 1960s and 70s where a lot of heritage buildings throughout Victoria were demolished, but Bendigo managed to preserve and maintain a lot of its properties,” he said.
“Bendigo has a rich architectural history, so it is wonderful to see residents embrace our heritage properties and return them to their former glory or give them a new lease on life.”
Dr Hill said it was important to conserve heritage buildings in Bendigo.
“The awards are a great chance for Bendigo to celebrate our inheritance,” he said. “When people walk up and down the streets, it is the heritage that they are recognising.
“It is what makes this city what it is; it is the reason why people come here.”
John Launder, a joint winner of the Restoration category at last year’s awards, said anyone who had been involved in conserving or adapting a heritage property should consider nominating their work.
Nominations must be in by 5pm on March 22. The winners will be announced at a dinner on June 14.
For more information visit the City of Greater Bendigo website.