Butt out responsibly: CFA

FIREFIGHTERS are calling on residents to butt out responsibly after a cigarette started a fire in a busy Bendigo street this morning.

A cigarette butt was believed to be the cause for the fire in a drain on Myers Street.

Traffic was blocked in one lane as CFA crews extinguished the flames.

Senior Station Officer Mick Lavery said it was happening "too often".

"It was lucky in this case it was called in straight away," he said.

"People need to be vigilant and aware that cigarette butts can be the cause of ignition. Conditions are really dry at the moment." 

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide