Pair face bash charges

One of two Castlemaine teens who allegedly beat up a 16-year-old boy and stole his car on the weekend, had been released on bail less than an hour before the attack, a court has heard.

A 15-year-old youth, who cannot be named, appeared in a Victorian Children’s Court alongside his co-accused, 16, yesterday.

The court heard he had failed to show up at court on Friday morning to answer bail on several separate matters. Leading Senior Constable David Petrusma said when he did arrive at the police station just before 1pm he was re-bailed and given a “stern talking to” about not re-offending while on bail.

“Just prior to 2pm he attended at the house of a young male known to him with the co-accused,” Leading Senior Constable Petrusma said. “They went with the sole intention of bashing the man.

“They both punched him several times and when he fell to the ground they kicked him and kneed him. They demanded the keys to his car and he initially refused so they continued to bash him until he handed them over.”

Leading Senior Constable Petrusma said several teenagers witnessed the assault but were too scared to intervene, and were later threatened with violence if they spoke to police. He said the 15-year-old then drove the victim’s car to a swimming hole in Castlemaine, with the co-accused, before taking the vehicle to Bendigo.

The car was recovered early yesterday afternoon in bush behind Lansell Square, damaged and stripped of parts.

Leading Senior Constable Petrusma said police opposed bail for the 15-year-old because every time he was given bail he re-offended. He said he also feared for the safety of the victim and witnesses. The court heard the teen had pending matters of burglary, theft and unlicensed driving.

But the boy’s lawyer Luke Docherty said his client had been talked into committing the recent offending by an older woman who believed the victim had assaulted her daughter.

Magistrate Jennifer Tregent said this was no excuse for the offending.

Ms Tregent remanded him in custody to appear in the Children’s Court on December 14. The boy’s 16-year-old co-accused, who made no application for bail, was also remanded until that date.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop