Catholic College Bendigo is a co-educational secondary College located in Bendigo, Victoria. Students in Years 7- 9 study at our La Valla campus in Junortoun, and our Years 10 12 students at Coolock in Central Bendigo. Our learning community strives to provide each young person with the best educational opportunities to experience personal success. As a fullysponsored Mercy College we seek to live out the Mercy Education values of
Compassion, Justice, Respect, Hospitality, Service and Courage.
HISTORY OF CATHOLIC SECONDARY EDUCATION IN BENDIGO
Catholic Secondary Education in Bendigo began with the arrival of the Sisters of Mercy in 1876. High School education for boys and girls was offered by the Sisters at St. Aloysius’ School until 1893, when the Marist Brothers arrived to continue education for boys.
In the years that followed Religious and Lay teachers at St Mary’s College and Marist Brothers’ College continued to offer a Catholic education to many young people from Bendigo and its environs.
In 1954 the Vincentian Fathers opened St. Vincent's College as a boarding school for boys at Junortoun. This made a significant contribution to Catholic education. In 1972 St Vincent's opened to day boys, due to declining boarding numbers. By 1977 further decline in numbers led the Vincentian Fathers to decide to leave Bendigo and concentrate on other ministries. The College was closed, and the site became an extension of Marist Brothers’ College.
On September 23, 1982, it was announced by Bishop Daly, the Provincial Superior of the Marist Brothers and the Congregational Superior of the Sisters of Mercy that the existing Colleges in Bendigo, Marist Brothers’ College and St. Mary’s College, would amalgamate from January 1, 1983, and would be known as Catholic College Bendigo. They anticipated that the transition to total amalgamation would be gradual and the merging of the administrative, educational and financial operations of the Colleges would be expected to take several years.
In March 1985, the Governors decided that the College would move toward the development of a College on two locations by 1988 and that all classes would be coeducational in 1986.
1988 saw the implementation of this decision, as the year commenced with students at Years 7,8,9 at Junortoun (now known as La Valla), and students at Years 10,11,12 at Barkly Street (now known as Coolock).
On Thursday 1 November 2012 it was announced that from 1 January 2013 Catholic College Bendigo would be solely governed by the Sisters of Mercy. With the Marist Brothers focusing on the new Marist College Bendigo in Maiden Gully, Bishop Leslie Tomlinson agreed to hand Governance of Catholic College Bendigo to the Institute of the
Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea.
Accordingly, since 1 January 2013, Catholic College Bendigo has rested under the sole governance of the Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea, a Ministry of Mercy Education Limited ABN 69 154 531 870.
PRINCIPALS OF CATHOLIC COLLEGE BENDIGO
Sister Mary Duffy (1983 – 1989)
Sr Sylvia Williams (19901997)
Brother Paul Kane (1998 – 2003)
Sister Sylvia Williams (1990 – 1997)
Mr Darren McGregor (2004 2013)
Mr Michael Chalkley (2014 2014
Mr Brian Turner (2014 - current)
Contact us for details